Successlessness

You've Been Asleep for a Hundred Seconds

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Breakup Songs

I was rather bored with the Olympics last night so I made a mix CD of my favorite breakup songs. I tried to stick with more contemporary artists and avoid cute or jokey tunes and go for more heartfelt stuff. I also tried to end it with some more hopeful breakup songs. Here is the track list:

Sleater-Kinney – One More Hour
Built To Spill – Fling
Blur – No Distance Left To Run
Morrissey – Will Never Marry
Magnetic Fields – Why I Cry
Jon Brion – Ruin My Day
Lloyd Cole – No More Love Songs
Beck – Guess I’m Doing Fine
Wilco - At Least That’s What You Said
Pernice Brothers – 7:30
Pulp – Bad Cover Version
Guided By Voices – Game of Pricks
Belle and Sebastian – I’m Waking Up To Us
They Might Be Giants – Narrow Your Eyes
Scud Mountain Boys – Grudgefuck
Minus 5 – I’m Not Bitter
Wilco – Box Full of Letters
Lucksmiths – Deep Sea Diving Suit
Elliott Smith – Oh Well, Okay
Badly Drawn Boy – A Minor Incident
XTC – I Can’t Own Her

Anything I forgot? All suggestions are welcome.

5 Comments:

At 8/25/2004 12:49 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

My favorite breakup song of all time is Fiona Apple's "Get Gone." It's a bit angry, though.

 
At 8/26/2004 3:04 PM, Blogger ripvanruben said...

no good robyn ones other than a few stalkerish ones or an apolitical reading of I Wanna Destroy You.

Great suggestions all around maybe a second disc is in order. Most of the older stuff were things i considered by through by the way side to be more contemporary and mopey. I think the oldest tracks on this CD are the Moz and TMBG ones

 
At 8/26/2004 8:26 PM, Blogger ripvanruben said...

"I hope your Happy Now" is a great song but I'm not really fond of any of the released arrangemnts of the song. It's one of those song I think Steve Nieve almost ruins.

"I Can't Own Her" is ten times the song that "Your Dictionary" is. "You're Dictionary" is clever but its too clever and the ending undermines the emotion of the song.

My personal faves are "I Can't Own Her", "One More Hour", Will Never Marry", and "Why I Cry".

 
At 8/27/2004 11:20 AM, Blogger ripvanruben said...

"Driftwood" now that is a great song! i almost added it. Also old songs are great I love em. I was just explaining that i didnt consider them for my intial CD.

 
At 8/27/2004 1:39 PM, Blogger ripvanruben said...

The Velvet Underground's version of the song is not a break up song. The its kind of a moving to the big city with your friends and falling in love song. But the Cowboy Junkies version is so sad souding that it turns the song on its head and becomes a song of grief.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home