Successlessness

You've Been Asleep for a Hundred Seconds

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Noirish

I've been watching tons of film noir lately via Netflix. Some favorites thus far have been High Sierra with an awesome Bogart performance, both versions of The Killers, Criss Cross with Burt Lancaster, Murder, My Sweet with Dick Powell as Philip Marlowe, and Altman's brilliant The Long Goodbye with Elliot Gould as Marlowe, which is now one of my all time favorite films.

Tonight I watched Mildred Pierce. Its not really a noir film even though it is based on a James M. Cain novel. Its more of a melodrama. But wow what a melodrama! Joan Crawford is fantastic in the leading role as a self-made woman who struggles to please the bitchiest daughter in movie history. I can totally see how her whole cult grew out of this film. I guess that's another check mark against my hetero credentials, oh well...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home