Successlessness

You've Been Asleep for a Hundred Seconds

Monday, August 16, 2004

CD Revue: Danger Mouse – The Grey Album

The idea of mixing Jay-Z's Black Album with the Beatles’ White Album sounds clever but I didn’t expect it to be legitimately good. This album is not a typical mash-up where a vocal is laid over a different track instead Danger Mouse uses the White album to as the soul sampling source to create new tracks for Jay-Z’s rap tracks. I wasn’t that familiar with Jay-Z before I liked the singles I knew but was never compelled to really investigate further, but this album has opened my eyes to what a great rapper Jay-Z is. The best track is "99 Problems" with its "Helter Skelter" track. Other favorites include “Change Clothes” ("Piggies") and "My 1st Song" ("Can You Take Back"). Download the Grey Album here.

1 Comments:

At 8/20/2004 11:51 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

I didn't expect the album to be great the first time I heard it, either. I never respected the Jay-Z until then. Then I found myself listening to 99 Problems over and over and over and over.

If ya havin girl problems, I feel bad for you son...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home