Successlessness

You've Been Asleep for a Hundred Seconds

Thursday, January 06, 2005

I Heart My DVR

For the past ten days, I have had a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) and has been awesome. It's not a Tivo but its essentially the same thing. And unlike a Tivo, I didn't have to spend any money on the hardware. I just have to pay Comcast an extra ten bucks a month. The DVR runs Microsoft TV software. Its pretty sleek and far better than the Scientific Atlanta stuff my Dad's DVR runs. Before FCW got her Tivo I thought it was a fussy extravagance for people to lazy to set their VCRs. But after hearing her extol its virtues on a near daily basis I knew in needed one

Yet I still resisted the lure of Tivo, thinking it would make me what too much TV or at least even more than the ridiculous amount I already watch. But to my surprise I am actually watching less TV. I no longer am just endlessly surfing for something to watch. Instead, I just set it to record the shows I want. And then I can watch those shows when its convenient for me which leaves me free to read more, watch more DVDs, play more video games, and even get more exercise.

The best part is recording things you always mean to watch but tend to forget about like The Venture Brothers on the Cartoon Network or Ebert and Roeper. The time shifting quality is great. Even if you intend to watch a show the night airs why should you have to watch at 8 when it would be more convenient to watch it 9:35.

It is so much easier to record shows with the DVR than with the VCR. It also allows you never have to hesitate on making spur of the moment plans with friends just because you'd have to go home and set up the VCR first
Another added bonus is when you are flipping around and run across a show you like that's half way over you can set the DVR to record the whole thing. I did this last night with Do You Speak American?, Robert MacNeil's PBS documentary about regional dialects in America.

I know this sounds like an informercial but having DVR rules. It's a steal for ten bucks a month. Comcast isn't advertising their availability yet but if you call them they can get you all set up.

2 Comments:

At 1/07/2005 12:08 AM, Blogger Sara said...

What is Microsoft TV? Is that the MSN TV? I think we can get that DVR with ours too. And I agree with the surfing. Enjoy. As it sounds like you already are.

 
At 1/07/2005 8:24 AM, Blogger ripvanruben said...

I think Microsoft TV is just DVR software while MSN TV is a internet on your TV thing formerly called WebTV. I'm definately enjoying it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home