Successlessness

You've Been Asleep for a Hundred Seconds

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Dwight Remembered



On Thursday, my step-father Mike's father Dwight passed away. I didn't know Dwight well but he was always kind and sweet to me. He always had a goofy joke to share or a silly nickname to bestow on someone. He was always wearing acowboy boots and western shirts. He always seemed to be a quintessential Norman Rockwell style grandfather. I know he was good man because his son is one onef my favorite people in the world. I really regret I never got to know him better.

Dwight's health had been in long decline from Parkinson's, but the suddenness of his death really took me aback. It struck me harder than my own grandfather's death or my great grandfather's deaths. Maybe that's because BoBo's death something i was long prepared for. I am glad that Dwight is no longer suffering but I feel really sad for Mike and his brothers. I can't fathom what it would feel like to lose your father. And my heart goes out to Bette, Dwight's wife, as well.

I won't be able to go to his funeral next week and I didn't really know what to do with my grief or how to honor Dwight, so I went to a Blessed Sacrament in the U-District and lit a candle in Dwight's honor and said a prayer for him. I'm not Catholic or even particularly religious, but Dwight was so it felt like a fitting tribute. This has reminded me how precious family and friends are and how important our time with them is.

2 Comments:

At 1/30/2005 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What sweet words Successlessness. I thank you for sharing your thoughts with the world and yes...life is precious. Take care of yourself so you will live a long long life. Love your mother.

 
At 11/02/2005 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi successlessness your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on list-patented poker games I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to Dwight Remembered, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about list-patented poker games. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home