Successlessness

You've Been Asleep for a Hundred Seconds

Monday, October 04, 2004

Nerd Confessions

Over the past two years I have been watching/re-watching all of the Star Trek series through the magic of Netflix. Previously, I was only a casual fan of the shows and hadn’t really had any serious interest in the franchise since Deep Space Nine went off the air in 1999. Now I am a sad geek with trek action figures in my living room window sill. I started with The Next Generation, which in my mind is still the best series. But I was really surprised at how truly bad the first 2 seasons were. But with the full introduction of the Borg in Season 3, Next Generation really got rolling. And by the end of Season 7 it is one of the best shows ever on television. Next, I started watching Deep Space Nine. This show is really fun. The static space station setting really allowed for some big season-long and series-long story arcs. Gul Dukat was a great complex villain, both likable and hate-able at the same time. DS9 while not as great as TNG is my personal favorite Trek series. I started watching the original Star Trek series via Netflix on these old two-episodes-on-one-disc-DVDs but stopped when I heard the series was coming out in proper DVD sets this fall but Netflix hasn't carried those yet and may never, in which case I’ll have to buy them for myself. Or ask for them as gifts! I look forward to re-watching the whole series. It's very different in tone and style and Kirk and Spock are serious bad ass dudes. Currently, I’m in the midst of watching Voyager, a show that I hardly ever watched when it was originally on. The first two seasons were pretty dire. Season three starts to show some promise. I'm currently wrapping up season 4 which has had some great episodes like "Living Witness" but also god awful episodes like "Demon", in which they encounter a Demon planet. Last year I started watching Enterprise which turned out to be a great decision. Supposedly the first two seasons were horrid and I picked a good season to start watching. I am looking forward to the Season Premiere on Fraday and the resolution of the Nazi Alien cliffhanger.

2 Comments:

At 10/04/2004 12:58 PM, Blogger ripvanruben said...

Lt. Picard is an awesome action figure. As is Cadet Picard from the same episode. I hope voyager continues its upward swing to quality. I havent seen any Voyager game what is it?

 
At 10/05/2004 8:11 PM, Blogger Kate said...

TNG - Passable, but they really had to much tech talk about rerouting the deflector power to the sensor array to blah blah blah the problem.
Voyager - Okay, but a bit dull. Even their dangerous villain, those hunters whose name I forget were not interesting. And, so not interested in Seven's tight costume.
DS9 - Had the best storytelling. They really allowed for excellent stories and developed the characters on this one. And the episode where Sisko "helped" the Romulans enter the war with the Dominion was outstanding, along with a couple of others. This one was my favorite.
Original - For nostalgia, better than all of them. Classic and inimitable. I still remember vividly the episode where Kirk loses his memory, joins the native people and falls in love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home