Successlessness

You've Been Asleep for a Hundred Seconds

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Movie Shorts

Million Dollar Baby - I was skeptical going in. The movie totally stomach punches you yet it works. Great performances all around. Could have done with less of the Danger character though. If this wins the oscar im ok with that.

The Village - The twist is a good one. But you have to give a shit about what happens before the reveal for a twist to work. M. Night's streak of success is over.

Star Trek II: The Wraith of Khan - Awesomeness. Hadn't seen this in ages. Bonus features informed, me to my surprise, that that really is Ricardo Monteblan's real chest and not a breast plate.

Ray - Jamie Foxx is fantastic but its still just a biopic. It doesnt really end it just sort of stops.

Infernal Affairs - Quite possibly the best movie of the year. If you can imagine a Hong Kong Cop flick minus John Woo's doves and Chow Yun-Fat's wooden acting, you get this great film. Tony Leung and Andy Lau are both phenomenal.

Napoleon Dynamite - I am an ID-iot for not seeing this in the theaters! Its not a movie for everyone but its kinda like a live action version of a really funny Adult Swim cartoon. And I swear the guy that plays Napoleon's brother Kip cuts my hair at Supercuts in Ballard.

She Hate Me - I know I'm supposed to think this movie suckes but I really dug it. Its a seriously flawed film and major step down from The 25th Hour. But there's something about Spike Lee's style that I just love.

Intermission - Danny Boyle has a lot to answer for. Yet another boring Trainspotting inspired rambling mess. Kelly MacDonald is as cute as ever though.

Mean Creek - One of those movies I wish I had never seen the trailer for. I really liked it but I wonder if I would have loved it if I hadn't been spoiled by the trailer.

The Door in the Floor - Excellent film from start to finish. Jeff Bridges was robbed of an Oscar nomination just as much Paul Giamatti was. Kim Bassigner is pretty good as well. Not a happy movie but a good one.

The Saddest Music in the World - Weirdo director Guy Maddin's tribute to Canadian stubbie beer, the Great Depression, and American Idol. Both bizarre and kinda boring. Great silent era still cinematography and good perfromances by Rossellini and McKinney

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home