Successlessness

You've Been Asleep for a Hundred Seconds

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Disappointment

"If it wasn't for disappointment I wouldn't have any appointments"
- They Might Be Giants

The sick feeling in my stomach has finally disappeared, but I am still profoundly disappointed by Tuesday's results. While there is some disappointment in party and my candidate, I can't help feeling disappointed in my country. But hey that's how democracy works. Winner take all. That's how it works. Congrats to Bush and the GOP, they won fair and square.

I'm not that worried about the next four years. I am hopefully that they will be less disastrous than the last four if only because without the specter of reelection looming the President will maybe even admit some mistakes. Iraq will continue to be a mess and because of that we won't end up in another war which is a strange blessing.

It will also be interesting to see how the Democratic Party recovers. Maybe they'll realize that they need to be about something that appeals to lower class whites. Maybe they'll stop running away from class warfare and go back to Truman's Fair Deal and make economic fairness a moral issue. Maybe that will turn states like Arkansas back to blue. And just maybe in 4 years this country will be ready for a change. Or maybe I'll just be disappointed again.

1 Comments:

At 11/05/2004 8:21 AM, Blogger ripvanruben said...

Some Out of the blue names that could be 2008 Democratic nominees North Carolina Governor Mike Easley and Indiana Senator and former Governor Evan Bayh. i think edwards populist message could work too depending on what he does with himself in 4 years. One thing the dems really need to do is stop having a litmus test on abortion and guns. Especially guns.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home