Successlessness

You've Been Asleep for a Hundred Seconds

Friday, August 06, 2004

CD Revue: Sgt. Major - Rich, Creamery Butter




The first time I saw Sgt. Major perform was at a Pop Festival at the Croc a few years back. The entire band was decked out in white polyester marching band uniforms and the lead singer was wearing a black leather mini skirt a combination which I found irrevocably cool. I've since seen them several time and each time they are better. While its not surprising that I would dig a band made up of former members of the Fastbacks and Young Fresh Fellows, I still find the quality of the songs surprising. Kurt Bloch is really writing some great songs in this band. "The Battleship Called Greed" has a hypnotic baseline and a chorus that really kicks ass. "Erase You" is cool almost metal rocker. "Underneath It" is perfect power pop. And I think their cover of The Model Rockets' "Cheaters" was concocted just to make me smile.

Sgt. Major are playing at the Sunset Tavern on Saturday Aug 14th. I'll be there drinking PBR and you should be too.

1 Comments:

At 8/09/2004 1:18 PM, Blogger ripvanruben said...

Honestly, I was not into her voice that much in the live setting but it works better on record.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home