Successlessness

You've Been Asleep for a Hundred Seconds

Monday, March 13, 2006

Top Ten Films of 2005

1. Me and You and Everyone We Know - Strange, weird and totally affecting. I knew I'd probably like this but I waited until DVD because it seemed too serious. But to my surprise this movie was totally serious and really funny. Weird funny but still funny. Surreal, real, and sweet all at the same time.

2. Where the Truth Lies - I'm always a sucker for Atom Egoyan. This movie rather blindsided me since the concept is rather hokey: Kevin Bacon and Colin Firth as Martin and Lewis stand-ins involved in murder that ruined their careers and all based a pulpy mystery novel by Rupert "The Pina Colada Song" Holmes. But it works flawlessly.

3. The Squid and The Whale - Divorce in the 1980s, fuck yeah! I have rarely seen a truer or darkly funny film about things I experienced as a child and worst of it made me relive the shame of past as a teenage intellectual. Billy Baldwin almost steals the show as Ivan.

4. Munich - My favorite critic Jeffrey Wells let me down on this one he poo-poo'ed it and I kind of avoid it. Thanks to the Geekdrome podcast and Headstart's enthusiasm I finally saw it this weekend. Powerful stuff.

5. A History of Violence - Cronenberg! Straight forward and Sci-Fi free but still totally Cronenberg. You'll never stink of stairwell sex the same again.

6. In Her Shoes - I love this chick flick unashamedly. This is one of those Ohana movies for me. Toni Collete was robbed of an Oscar!!

7. Brokeback Mountain - Worst Oscars ever! Crash had no business winning let alone being nominated. Brokeback was all it promised and more.

8. Broken Flowers - Jim Jarmusch and Bill Murray apologize for that Cigarettes & Coffee mistake with this bit of understated brilliance.

9. King Kong - This movie should have been a disaster but instead its best thing Peter Jackson has done since Heavenly Creatures.

10. Layer Cake - Daniel Craig is going to be an awesome Bond.

2 Comments:

At 3/14/2006 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! I'm right there with you on Me and You and Everyone We Know. ::back and forth 4-evah!::

I actually haven't seen a lot of the movies on your list. My movie watching this past year has been woefully lacking. I still have Netflix rentals from 6 months ago lying around. Le sigh. I need to get with the program.

Thanks for the list, it's always interesting to see what you found entertaining.

Love ya,

Nene

 
At 3/16/2006 6:53 PM, Blogger ripvanruben said...

Bubble is '06 film bitch!

Eva Green is gonna be one hot bod girl! She better be naked!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home